Thursday, June 20, 2013

Blackjack Hero Journal #1

So I've got 45 pages of Book 3 so far and I'm just getting started. The plan is to break it up into five acts with a short prelude. I don't want to do what most stories do, to skip the uncomfortable, difficult recoveries.

Blackjack had a hard time in Book 2, not the least of which was getting a majority of his bone structure pulverized by the man-god Lord Mighty. In most stories, we'd get a shot of him in the hospital, as we had at the end of Book 2, then the next time we see him, he's got a band aid on his cheek, and one hand on a sling as he bitterly says goodbye to his dead mom/dad/girlfriend/wife at the cemetery (in heavy rain).

Part of what I want to do is show the growth of this poor guy, and I think we learn a lot about ourselves when we're laid up and have to recover. Especially after the experiences of Book 2.

The other thing I don't want to do is to skip the relationship between him and Apogee. Most books have the almost-die-kiss-I-love-you stuff, then the next episode/movie/book they're already living together, fighting...that's kind of a cop out. The hardest part of a relationship, to my experience, is starting one, then keeping one. I look forward to the challenge of writing Apogee and Blackjack's growing relationship without skirting a single difficult moment. The interesting part is to write it, while not making it too long or boring.

Also, how well do they know each other? They've shared some interesting experiences, and maybe there's the gist something, but there's a lot of stuff to work through. Fortunately, I've set things up so we can show them getting to know each other, and have some good action in the meantime.

Blackjack's coming back from injuries that would have killed anyone else, unwelcome to the roster of remaining heroes, and facing a new threat that makes his fights with Epic and Lord Mighty look pale in comparison. And remember, Zundergrub opened up the gates to Utopia (copycatting bastard David Goyer!), ruining the tenuous balance between good and evil. Things are getting worse with all those villains running around. Heroes are hanging up their capes, taking long vacations, anything to avoid facing uneven numbers.

Blackjack needs to get good in mind and body. It's time to man up.

Damn, I'm looking forward to writing this book!





3 comments:

  1. I am really looking forward to your next entry in Blackjack's story. Best of luck with all that writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blackjack like a hero it is something new.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am always searching online for articles that can help me. There is obviously a lot to know about this. I think you made some good points in Features also. Keep working, great job!
    m88 blackjack

    ReplyDelete