Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Blackjack update - kinda

Blame my partner Josh.

It's his fault, okay? Not mine.

Yeah it's his fault so little progress took place on Blackjack. The guy calls me, tells me that Interstellar Overdrive is on his mind. We spend 35 minutes chatting about it, and he sends me on a tailspin that occupied most of my week. I'm like Dug in Pixar's Up. "SQUIRREL!"

So we're reworking it to be a little smaller per episode because we found some nicer beats, and also it looks like 60 pages is a more standard number for some of the serialized stories we're seeing. Wool, the biggest and best of them (Ridley Scott's directing the movie!) is 58 pages for its first issue. The good news is that with the new paradigm, we'll be able to get started on publishing the series sooner rather than later.

The problem is I've got to get act one of Blackjack to you guys. I still threw down about 10 pages, specifically some scenes in the Tower with Blackjack, Apogee and Superdynamic (a little Ruby thrown in there). I need another 5-10 to finish the sequence, and give it the importance and message I'm looking out of it. Then it's back to KC and a sequence that I envisioned almost two years ago, a superhero BBQ, then some stuff with the former Lady Despoil, now known as Lillith, and finally a 20 page action sequence that'll make the Hashima and D.C. stuff look like child's play.

And that'll be act one. In reading over it, I'm seeing tons of holes to fill, and a scene or two that are more "telly" than I'd like, but everything is in rough order.

All in all an act one that'll please people more than the one in book two. I know, there was a point to all of that, I had a plan for Blackjack and it doesn't really pay off until the end. But I can understand that some folks were put off by it, especially with how he starts to behave when faced with the frustrations of the dream world. I always figured they'd drop you into a Matrix-like world, where you had to fight and struggle for everything you wanted, even though it was just at the edges of your outreached fingertips. The idea is to keep your mind busy for years, keep you focused and moving so you never have a chance to question what you're seeing and experiencing. Anyway, that was my idea. Some folks had a problem with Shard World as a whole. For most folks, the best parts of books one and two were the "real world" parts, and I can understand where going off to Lala-land can be off putting. But I did it for a reason. There was a goal.

Despite that, I understood and heard the complaints. I totally get it, and my intention is to do a Blackjack that's what people want.

In drama, they tell you to start as late as possible, as close to the actual conflict as you can. Well, in a way, Book 3 is sort of the beginning. The previous stuff, while awesome to write for me, and enjoyable to some of you to read, is the quick flashback (with a Morgan Freeman voice over) at the beginning of the movie, before the "real" stuff starts to happen.

Blackjack's made an interesting transformation for me. From a guy who was clueless and aimless to a guy who knows what he wants and won't let anything get in his way.

Anyway, back to work!

13 comments:

  1. All I have to say is F@!K "the people". The reason I like Blackjack and the series is because you wrote it the way YOU wanted to. I hope you don't start second guessing the direction you want the story to go just because of a few mildly dissatisfied people.
    Yeah the shard-world part of book 2 threw me a little but it was still an important time of growth for Blackjack. In his own mind he fell just about as far as anyone is capable of falling and now through that experience he is trying to climb his way out. In a downward spiral that needs to happen if your to ever find redemption for you past mistakes. Blackjack is as awesome of a character because YOU make him that way, not the people. Listen to opinions, gain inspiration where you will but please always write Blackjack like you invision him to be. It would be a lesser product if anyone else did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where the hell did you all go???are you hiding from me!?!? WHERE ARE YOU!??!?!?!?!? *takes medication* [incoherent mumbling] find....people.... Strangle..... Can't hide.....unghghghhh....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Halloween all you ghouls and goblins! Try not gorge your selves on candy tonight, oh who am I fooling gorge like your feasting on the the hearts of the pure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How's hero coming along Ben? You haven't posted in a bit so I guess you've been writing and brainstorming like mad. Lol being an author with demanding fans must be tough

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey guys. Still at it, and I'll give you a full fledged update soon. Sorry about not making that "NEXT WEEK" deadline I imposed for myself. I'm new at this and still don't know you don't do that because things might happen. As it did, the last few weeks were busy and I put my priorities elsewhere. Now I look like a schmuck. It won't happen again.

    Anyways, update soon, and thanks for everything!

    ReplyDelete
  6. No problem and no worries. Keep writing epicly and we have no cause for complaint :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just finished wayward, after stumbling on the series a couple days ago. Found both books amazing, and I can't wait to read the next. It's refreshing to see someone take their time with the details, and I wouldn't want to see it done differently. Giving the people what they want makes things predicable, and I'd hate to see such a unique story fall on It's face due to critique. You have nothing to be ashamed of Ben, keep up the good work. Remember, in the end, you hold the pen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Thanksgiving! Hope everyone stuffed themselves into food commas today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am. But otherwise I think they died.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Due to the long absence of post I have gone back and am rereading the Demon Accords. Its as good as the first time. If you haven't read them do so.

    ReplyDelete