Saturday, March 22, 2014

Interruptions, interruptions, interruptions (Blackjack Fugitive Update #5)

Interstellar Overdrive is in progress and for six days straight it's taken the wind out of Blackjack's sails. Wait til Blackjack gets his hands on those bastards for interrupting.

But to update, I've reached the end of Act 2b of Blackjack 3, 200+ pages or so. All that's left is a massive 30 page battle with the evil forces of <REDACTED> in a Transylvanian castle on the Carpathian mountains. Yeah, that's all going into the book. It's a big set piece, and I feel like Michael Bay the morning before he gets to blow up something. In a way, I'm glad for the brief break from Blackjack so I can come into this scene fresh and full of juice.

With Interstellar Overdrive, we're going to put together 5-6-7 episodes, each 50+ pages before coming out with the first one. This will give us enough lead time to make sure we can stay monthly. That's the idea anyway. I'm very excited about the project for a ton of reasons, but primarily because it's a vast departure from Blackjack. Hell, it's 3rd person, with multiple point of view characters and it sprawls a galaxy filled with different and interesting planets.

But what is it? At it's core, it's a buddy cop movie. But they're not cops. Nor is it a movie. It's an old-style shoot-em-up, as inspired by Peckinpaw's Wild Bunch and Bring me the Head of Alfredo Garcia as it is by Whedon's Serenity. It's a story about uncompromising men in an uncompromising universe, where everyone is strapped and deadly. I've had a blast putting it together, and I have two partners that are not only amazing people to work with, but have show the talent to make my original drafts shine and the story truly stand out.

What does it mean to Blackjack? I've already written the first six episodes, so Blackjack is now - with the occasional interruption. I've got enough time to finish the third book before I have to tack back to Interstellar. I can edit it as I return to work on IO. Editing requires a different mental muscle.

My plan is to have IO Episode 1: For What It's Worth available by August and Blackjack 3 out by the end of the year. I'm also going to put together a Blackjack 1-3 omnibus (out at the same time as 3) for people that haven't read it, or just want it all consolidated. At the same time as Blackjack 3 so you don't have to blow 3 bucks on 3, then more on an omnibus if you want it. I hate it when they nickle and dime you like cheap bastards.

What is Blackjack 3 about? Well, we've talked about it a little on this blog, but basically it's a continuation of what happened in 2, almost without pause. Blackjack is recovering from injuries that would have killed Epic, and even though he showed great courage and selflessness during the events of Washington D.C., he's still a convicted felon, he still owes a debt to society.

And forgiveness comes hard...

A sample from the opening of Blackjack 3. It's a very rough, first draft - don't get your panties in a bunch if there's spelling/grammar/logic errors.


Then the plane banked violently without warning, hard right to almost forty-five degrees to starboard. A repetitive popping rang out along the rear fuselage that I figured was the auto-chaff firing off. Obliterate stood almost immediately, somehow ignoring the effects of the sudden maneuver and keeping his balance. Warspite rose from his slumber as his body pressed hard against the seat. The four guards’ eyes opened wide, staring forward as if for guidance, but the men up front were thrown about, some to the floor, shouting and screaming.
The big C-17 nimbly soared back, the chaff firing without pause, the maneuver now reversed just as aggressively to port, with the nose pulled back hard.
“What the fuck-“ The warden shouted, grasping onto a wall harness to keep from flying across the deck like some of his men. One man slid down the floor towards the rear of the plane, saved from slamming to the back by Obliterate, who stepped forward – still unaffected – and barred his path, stopping the man.
“What the hell’s he doing?” Warspite asked of the pilot’s maneuvers to no one in particular.
“We’re under attack,” I said, knowing of no other reason to explain the violent flying.
“What?” he said, but it was Obliterate who turned to me, staring intently. He could tell the manacles weren’t working on me. His red eyes flashed down to my wrists, then back to my smiling face.
“Don’t move,” he said, his voice an ashen whisper, a mailed finger jutting in my direction.
Again the pilot banked defensively, firing off more flares. Obliterate helped the guard at his feet reach one of the chairs along the sides of the craft and Warspite struggled to hold in his lunch.
“Oh, man,” he said, belching. “This isn’t good.”
A moment later, something streaked by, audible to us inside the plane, exploding so close that it shook the Globemaster like a depth charge rocking a submarine in one of those old World War Two movies. The explosion was to starboard, and aft, peppering the tail with shrapnel and shaking the plane with such violence it slipped in its track, almost losing attitude. The pilot was skilled, though, yawing the tail in the direction of the explosion to keep the C-17 from going into a flat spin.
He overcorrected once, then again before getting full control of the plane. There were small windows the sides of the ship, but hard as I could try to catch a peek, there was nothing visible outside save for the passing clouds.
“What is it?” the warden said, looking at me, then running to the window himself and looking. Angling back, he saw something that blanched his face. When he faced me again, he was filled with fear and shock.
“It’s you,” he said, shaking his head in confusion. “It’s you.”
I laughed, “You’re mad.”
But Obliterate ran up to the warden, shoving him aside to see. He stared back at me.
“How are you doing this?” he roared with his rasp of a voice, drawing for his sword and making towards me, but the warden looked out the window and interrupted him.
“Incoming,” he shouted, diving away from the edge of the fuselage.
A moment later, a shower of pebbles rained on the body of the ship.
“That’s it?” Warspite said, taking off his seatbelt, expecting another explosion.
The pebbles were stuck to the C-17’s outside, rolling across the metal frame and increasing in speed with a loud grind. They rolled faster and faster, staying tight against the plane despite popping off rivets and edges, scraping against the sides. Soon the effect of each of the metal pellets tearing around the ship was visible, leaving long burning streaks around the midsection.
Without warning, the Globemaster split amidships with a howling gust wind blasting into our faces. The warden, Warspite, Obliterate and several of the guards flew out of the gaping maw, screaming for their lives. The four guards strapped to the rear of the C-17 with me also screamed as the nose dipped and the forward part of the plane was lost to us forever. Without the aft section, the nose, wings and engines would spiral out of control, foundering and falling apart. Not like we were going to fare much better. Freed of the rest of the plane, the tail caught the wind and began rolling back.
It was at that moment that I saw him. Or me, actually, if I could actually believe my eyes. I had never built nor used the flying device this version of me was using. It was as if a cross between a Harley and an F-22, winged and fast, but with handlebars and a leather seat, making the pilot of the thing fly it like a motorcycle. This guy was letting the flying bike soar without him at the controls, because he was spraying the nose section of the plane with explosive arrows, drawing and firing them with a motion that was almost exactly like mine. He fired his arrows by feel, not aim, never bothering to look down “the sights.” His hair was black and short, like I liked it, with a long, hooded cape that fluttered back from his shoulders. He also had my old facemask and goggles, in the exact old configuration I had kept before joining the Impossibles. His bow was a hand-made English bow, not an easier to find compound one that you could buy from any store, and even his quivers were the exact types I had used in the past.
Everything down to his clothing, musculature, hell, even his boots were a perfect match.

He was Blackjack.


22 comments:

  1. Out of curiosity are the Impossibles anything like DC's suicide squad? Basically a group of convicted felons with certain useful skills who are sent on near suicide missions who, if successful, have their sentence reduced after the mission in completed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Impossibles was a moniker for the group Blackjack, Influx, Mr. Haha 2000, Cool Hand Luke and Dr. Zundergrub. Cool Hand liked it, but it never stuck, it's members kept dying...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel dumb for forgetting about that, it has been a few months since I read the first book. Sorry I just watched the new Arrow episode where they brought in the Suicide Squad and the presence of the warden and guards got me thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great can't wait to buy the book when it comes out

    ReplyDelete
  5. Were the manacles he was wearing that had no effect the power dampening ones we have seen previously?

    Take my money!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. No worries, Kyle. Can't expect you to remember every detail. It's actually Cool Hand who comes up with the name, but very late in the book. I think he mentions it on Hashima as they're waiting for the heroes to show up.

    Thanks Lucas and Joseph. Took a week off from Blackjack to work on IO, but Monday I'm coming back hardcore.

    There's more prior to the snippet that I didn't put up, where he gets cuffed, and yeah Evan, those are supposed to be the power dampening manacles...except they don't dampen any powers. I figured out a way to explain those cuffs in real scientific terms. It's funny because just coming here and writing about it gave me an idea for how to use them further...

    Save your 3 bucks for December, that's when I'm planning on coming out with it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Damn! It got quiet around here. What's up?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Because of Interstellar Overdrive. Fkin IO...at least I'm waaaay ahead of the two other fools, so this last week and the next couple I'm on Blackjack. My goal to publish by year's end is still in sight.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The first half of the 2nd book were a little too much. I mean .. all this self loathing and doubting. Granted you need it for a little character development, but this was too much. Didn't like blackjack at all. And what's up with him always underestimating himself? Saying stuff like "Oh.. this super is stronger than me" "I'm just a little strong and all..." when nearly everything proves that he's one of the strongest supers on the planet and that he gets stronger every day. Most likely getting strong enough to even challenge guys like nostromo and Recton themselves, after all he was exposed to the same radiation, only that he was exposed longer and at a closer proximity.
    I just hope that he get's of his pathetic ass the in 3rd book, can't read anymore of his adolescence teenage girl ramblings.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Did everyone go on vacation for the spring? It's damn lonely on this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. No one here but us crickets! :)

    How's the book coming, Ben? What's happening in your world, sir?

    I too am curious to see how Blackjack is going to progress. Unlike the previous poster, I understand the need for the self-loathing as an impetus to change. However, I do agree that someone as smart as Blackjack, no matter his willful blindness about his own persona, would be better able to judge his strength against opponents.

    For instance, around the pit in book 2 there was some mention of a couple of guys that could take Blackjack by themselves. At the same time, in discussing Lord Mighty, it was said that Epic was stronger than Mighty, but was lazy.

    Blackjack kicked Epic's rear, but was completely manhandled by Mighty. Mighty was 'worth the lot' of every other villain left in book 2, and was the most powerful super left on earth with the demise of the original seven.

    Anyway, you get the idea. There are some inconsistencies in the power levels, and a bit too much discrepancy in Blackjack's visualization of his own strength, even allowing for his increase post -lightbringer.

    Although not immune to damage, Blackjack should be the strongest super remaining on the planet in terms of raw physical power.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Damn, I’ve been slacking! Let’s get to your questions and comments:

    Puri: I understand how you feel. Part of what of what I was trying to accomplish with book two was to show what happens when you hit bottom – a dark, deep place from which few people ever climb out of – and I may have gone a little too far in places. I appreciate your patience with me as we forge Blackjack into a really cool character.
    Part of what’s going on here is that I’m not in a hurry. Not about writing this book, but about Blackjack himself, about his personal character arc. There’s no trilogy to fulfill, no deadlines to meet. I plan to stay with Blackjack for a long, long time. So long I have no idea what the number of books is. The guy just speaks to me, about all the unfairness that I’ve had to face in my life, about all the systematic bullshit that normal people have to bear with.
    But yeah, I admit I may have taken it a tad too far in book two. Remember, though, that we’re getting the story from Blackjack’s perspective, and he’s not the most reliable of people.

    Joseph: No vacation at all. Blame this other project I got caught up with. It was originally going to be a serialized sci-fi story that I could write a few weeks a month and spend the rest of the time working on book three. It turned into a heavy project, with two partners and into more work than I could imagine. I’ve written in excess of 1,000 words and edited things 5-7 times and we’re still in progress. We added a new partner whose final polishes are nothing short of brilliant, but that’s just given us more delays. Worthwhile delays, because it’s coming out really solid. The two guys I’m working with are making sure that the story is tight and the characters are as hardcore as you’re used to, and in the end, it’ll make Interstellar Overdrive a real top notch product.
    The idea stems from my lifelong love of comic books. There’s nothing like a nice comic to disappear into for 10-15 minutes, then you can get on with your day. These days, I find myself having few moments where I can dedicate 2-3 hours to a nice 600 page book, so I appreciate shorter works. Anyway, I saw the success that Hugh Howey’s Silo series had and also saw a bunch of publishers offering shorter works, some even shorter than a novella, and wondered if there was an audience for our work. Interstellar Overdrive’s episodes are going to be around 70 pages each, so you can knock one out fast and get on with your day. It’s an ongoing story and we have long-term plans to take it all the way to the networks.
    Yet, this is a Blackjack blog and you came here to read about Blackjack…

    ReplyDelete
  13. Chewtoy: Blackjack is progressing. I’m on it full-time, and I plan to have a first draft by the end of the summer. Next week is my annual getaway to Merritt Island, Florida, and if it’s like the last three, I’ll put down 150-200 pages.
    I do thank you for your patience with me in putting out the third book. I’ve agonized over the story, and finally come up with something that’s more in line with how we ended book 2. I’m a little nervous to see what the reaction to this new storyline will be. Like most people, I like to watch the anti-hero movie, and in the end watch him realize himself, and become the hero, but in reality things are a little more complicated.
    At the end of Blackjack Wayward, our protagonist is a shattered mess, almost sacrificing his life to save the President of the United States. But he’s still a felon, convicted for all the crimes surrounding the events of Hashima, and the actions of the group known as the Impossibles. Now, we could go two ways from there. First, to have the President give Dale McKeown a full pardon and welcome him to the community of heroes. That’s what you normally see, and honestly, that’s what I started writing at first. It made sense, to have Blackjack take the next step in his journey in a positive direction.
    But then I started thinking about my life, and about those moments in time when institutional benevolence failed me, despite my best efforts. Sure, Blackjack is friends with a couple of pretty influential supers, but forgiveness comes hard in the real world, and I felt like I had more to say if we went the other way. My writing partner Josh always says that Blackjack is at his best when he’s running, and he may have a point.
    Finally, about Blackjack’s strength: We’ve talked about this before, but why not talk about it some more?
    The problem with making him the strongest of all (and he may well be), is that it solves a lot of problems for me. It simplifies things. I’ve always liked the idea that there’s always someone out there that’s badder and meaner than you are, no matter how many years you trained with Sifu Whateverhisnameis. There’s a guy out there that’ll dismantle the baddest, toughest MMA guy, there’s people that would wipe the floor with Bruce Lee at his peak, and that’s kind of my thinking in the Blackjack books.
    In the DC and Marvel worlds, they’re always trying to quantify the strength of their heroes, like with that old series Marvel Universe, that let us know that Colossus could lift X tons and Luke Cage would lift X-Y tons. So we would have a clean comparison. But I always noticed that when it came to Hulk and Thor, they were nebulous as hell. They skirted the issue, saying it depended on how mad Hulk got, how desperate Thor became.
    Well, it’s kind of the same. To my thinking Epic is MUCH stronger than Blackjack. Hell, reread the scene – one blow almost does him in. But that fight wasn’t about stronger or weaker so much as about who was hungrier. Epic’s a workman-like hero, who’s brought down dozens, if not hundreds of villains in his time. To him, fighting Blackjack was nothing to get excited about, whereas for Blackjack, beating Epic was everything.
    The fight with Lord Mighty was a perfect example of Blackjack against a motivated super, which Epic was not. In it, Blackjack got his skeletal structure pulverized, and won by virtue of luck and a bit of quick thinking. But to rip Mighty’s jaw off his face required a feat of strength worthy of…Mighty himself. So in essence, Blackjack is about as strong as Mighty. But there’s always someone stronger, someone badder around the corner.
    In book three, his name is Primal.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ben,

    I was wondering if we will see any changes in Blackjack and Apogee's powers due to exposure to the lightbringers in book 3. Correct me if I am wrong but what gave the original meta-humans their abilities was exposure to them when they traveled to shard world. Is the effect that exposure has on Blackjack and Apogee going to be addressed in the future?

    As far as the treatment given by government institutions I agree that for the most part they are callous, but when you have something they want everything changes. They may want to throw someone in jail and toss away the key but if Blackjack acquired something vital to them my guess is that they would make just about any deal to get it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think a plausible explanation for Blackjack's failure to develop wild abilities could lie in the fact that he ALREADY is a metahuman...and Retcon and the original Seven were NOT when they met the Lightbringers. Still, I would like to see some development in the story of Blackjack's abilities. There is so much more he could do with his engineering abilities. More importantly, he could simply have the ability to adapt, a rather unassuming but very potent ability. Ever read Michael Carroll's Superhuman novels ? Krodin has a similar ability. He gets attacked once by something and if it doesn't kill him, he's practically immune to it. Drew Hayes' Titan from his web-serial Corpies also has a similar ability as well: he gets stronger when he encounters something that can hurt or push his current ones. Thus he becomes one of the strongest, toughest heroes around with virtual immunity to any harm. Also, since Ben already suggested the radiation WOULD change Blackjack when he was in Dr. Retcon's presence, I would also suggest that he could argue delayed reaction. Ben, after all, never stated the lag between the Seven's return to earth and gaining their abilities if i recall correctly.

    ReplyDelete
  16. current ones-> *current limits

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kyle: One of the things we're going to do in this, or maybe the next book, is sort of quantify where Blackjack lies among all the other supers. We're also going to introduce him to a larger world. One of the things we'll discuss is how Blackjack (and Apogee's) powers work, in particular how they were changed by the Lightbringer's experience. It's somewhat like what Devilheart mentions in the next post, like the Michael Carroll Krodin character - though I've never read the book. I'm not eager to give specific numbers, nor to put him much farther ahead than anyone else because I don't want to get into a situation like The Hulk, where he's just so much tougher/stronger than anyone else.

    As far as your second comment, regarding government institutions, you have a great point that I have to admit I never gave much thought. In the end, this might be the mitigating factor between Blackjack the rogue and Blackjack the hero. Thanks for setting me straight.

    Devil Heart: You're right, part of what happened with the Lightbringer's experience is that Blackjack and Apogee encountered the Lightbringer already as a metahuman/super. The effect wasn't exactly the same as when Retcon and the rest of the Seven were originally transported to Shard World.

    Though we've never covered the original trip in detail, in my mind, none of them ever saw the Lightbringers up close, save for Retcon himself. We never had a chance to show how powerful he really was, in my mind, he was always ahead of the others, even Valiant.

    The other factor that plays into this discussion is the idea that we're being told the story from Blackjack's point of view, and he's not a terribly reliable narrator. For example, he goes into the Lord Mighty fight sure he's going to lose, with the original intent of delaying the guy, keeping him busy...and as the fight wears on, he sees the cracks in Mighty's armor, and even manages to land a blow or two in there. In the end, he beats him through attrition and sheer will. Imagine if he had gone into it with the same attitude he had versus Epic. What I'm trying to say is that alot of it is in his head, more so than in his muscles.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Each and every player should keep in mind to learn the strategies and go accordingly. It boosts their gaming experience and helps them all through their gaming.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Poker is also a very lucrative game which fetches the player a windfall with good winning percentages.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Take part in gaming and have a happy hunt with gambling opportunities online.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am always searching online for articles that can help me. There is obviously a lot to know about this. I think you made some good points in Features also. Keep working, great job!
    m88 blackjack

    ReplyDelete